problems recognizing drives on a Promise SuperTrak

Rob Jefferson rlj at cnbc.cmu.edu
Sun Jun 20 19:50:25 UTC 2004

I have a machine running FC1 (kernel version 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl), and I
want to use a Promise SuperTrak SX-6000.  I downloaded the driver from
Promise, compiled it, and loaded the resulting module.  The module shows
up as installed, the card is recognized according to dmesg, and it shows
up in /proc/scsi/pti_st, denoted by scsi0.  When I run scsi_info, I get
the following:

[root at nurban-temp pti_st]# scsi_info 0
could not get SCSI device info: Inappropriate ioctl for device

My goal here is to find out what drives are connected to the device, or at
least how to address the hardware-RAIDed drives such that I can format
them.  There was no documentation with the driver to help me accomplish
this, and web searches have been fruitless.  I am unsure if this is a
problem with the interaction with the kernel and the driver, or I am
issuing the wrong commands and/or parameters, or if it is something else
entirely.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Rob