Re: Turning off ipv6 -- !!DO IT!! [was: Need help with a DNS problem]

Sean Estabrooks wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 14:43:01 -0700
Jonathan Ryshpan <jonrysh pacbell net> wrote:

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 15:30, Rick Stevens wrote:
IPV6 is only supposed to load if /etc/sysconfig/network contains the
line:

	NETWORKING_IPV6=yes

If you don't want IPV6, delete that line or set it to

	NETWORKING_IPV6=no

BTW, a quick scan of /etc/rc.d/init.d/network would have revealed this.
A quick glance at the contents of /etc/init.d and /etc/sysconfig seems
to show that this is the way that system initialization is *supposed* to
work, but it looks that it isn't the way that it *does* work, at least
under FC2.  On my system, /etc/sysconfig contains:
       $ cat /etc/sysconfig
       NETWORKING=yes
       HOSTNAME=amito.localdomain
but lsmod definitely shows that ipv6 *is* loaded.

Fascinating. On my FC2 system /etc/sysconfig is a directory. So what file in particular are we talking about here?

JDL