is dovecot really better than uw-imapd?

Marc Lucke marc at marcsnet.com
Sun Jun 20 23:43:01 UTC 2004

Marc Lucke wrote:

> I'd like to query whether most agree that dovecot is better than
> uw-imapd & whether it is going to remain a part of the Fedora/Redhat
> projects and is therefore worthwhile sticking with?  I say this
> because I am seriously considering going back to uw-imapd.  I think
> dovecot is much slower - & without apparent reason - on 2 systems that
> I have changed over (one an older machine running FC1 and another a
> newer system with FC2) that ran uw-imapd a lot faster.  Also I keep
> getting a really irritating "invalid mask" error that I never got with
> uw-imapd.
>
> I'm doing more research before throwing the bath water out with the baby.
>
> I've heard positive stuff on this list about dovecot - has anyone else
> had my sort of problems?  Anyone fixed them?
>
> Oh - I do access the email via from multiple machines Squirrel-mail,
> Thunderbird & sometimes my collegue will also go in & have a look so
> simultaneous access is possible.  I know that dovecot is not designed
> to share the mailbox (or Linux isn't - whatever) but uw-imapd never
> seemed to have a problem.
>

> Marc

Isn't it ironic that after having sent this I upgraded dovecot and
restarted it and now it is a lot faster?  Sheesh.  Jury is out now -
I'll see what the new version does.

I answer all my other email on top of the quoted message I am replying
to because this seems to be the standard way to do things in the
business world.  Indeed I like it because you can read answers straight
up without having to scroll.  So why does everyone on this list still
append their contirbution?  Anyone know?  I find it a bit annoying.

Marc