problems since last update

Bill Kavadas bill.kavadas at nec.com.au
Mon Jun 21 00:38:19 UTC 2004

gillian bennett wrote:
> hi,
>
> I am runing fedora core 1.0 on intel. I upgrade pretty regularily when
> there are security fixes or apps that I use need bug fixes.
>
> I apply updates using apt. At last update (about 2 weeks ago) I have
> noticed quite a few cosmetic changes to gnome and also to the login.
>
> My login now says Fedora Core 2, and my main menu is now a black foot
> with only 5 options
> *login
> *logout
> *run application
> *search for files
> *open recent
>
> I don't care about the fedora core 2 thing, but I would like my main
> menu back.
>
> Thanks, Gb

Had the same issue on FC1 with KDE after apt-get upgrade - menu only has
about 5 or 6 items.

I fixed it by rolling back to the previous version of the 'redhat-menus'
package. I'm not sure how to do that using the apt-* commands but if you
use synaptic, search for redhat-menus, click on the Expert tab, select
the previous version and apply, you should get your original menu back.
I hope it works as well for Gnome.

Course, this is just a bandaid solution - every subsequent upgrade you
perform will want to install the faulty(?) redhat-menus package. Is
there someone out there who knows whether the package is buggy or have I
missed some subtle point somewhere?

Cheers,
Bill