centralized site for FC2 multimedia?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 21 15:55:47 UTC 2004

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Mike Lurk wrote:

> ... If you look closely you will see that of the contributors
> are all volunteers and they provide all of this in their spare time in
> locations which are easy for any Fedora Core user to find. I have made
> links to all these sites and that made it easy to find answers to most
> of my questions, and if I don't find them there I come here to see if
> there is any resolution or fix.

no argument there, but you inadvertantly supported my point when you
referred to "all these sites".  while i'm eternally grateful to the
volunteers who take the time to put together these sites/docs/faqs, the
fundamental problem seems to be that there are too many places to look for
the answer to what is generally a simple question.

in some cases, the volunteers are so determined to publicize as much info
as possible that what *does* get published can be frustratingly incomplete
-- sometimes in as little as a single but critical detail.

as i posted earlier, i'm trying to create and mount an encrypted
filesystem using dm-crypt under FC2.  i spent some time this morning
hunting around, making notes of sites that talk about this, but nowhere
did i find a single, comprehensive HOWTO that shows me how to do it, from
scratch.

inevitably, some day, there will most likely be numerous encrypted
filesystem HOWTOs out there, all of them missing some crucial detail,
so rather than one solid tutorial, we'll have lots of almost-solid
tutorials.  and, as i said, i think the problem is that lots of people are
more interested in generating volume than in writing a small number of
really good, tightly-focused guides.

in terms of my example with dm-crypt, it would be nice to find a single
doc with contents like:

- what are encrypted filesystems?
- what are the prerequisites for my FC2 system?
   - what RPMs do i need?
   - what kernel configuration must i have?
   - what modules will i need to load?
- if i'm using LVM,
   - how can i see the current state of the VGs and LVs?
   - how do i create a new LV that will be my enc. FS?
   - how can i verify the result of that operation?
   - how do i use "cryptsetup" to finish things off?

i contend that, if there was one rigorous, complete guide to using
dm-crypt for FC2, no one else would bother trying to write one.  and that
strikes me as a good thing, but that's just my personal opinion.  it seems
that there's just too many people re-inventing the same wheel, and very
few of them getting it just right.

rday

p.s.  as an off-the-top-of-my-head example, have you noticed how many
people wrote guides for how to configure and build a 2.4 kernel?  does the
world really need 5,000 kernel-building HOWTOs?  one really good one would
probably have been enough. :-)