X interface lockup on exit

I have a dual AMD Opteron system with an ATI Fire X2 card. My X server is using the Vesa driver, because the X2 ATI card does not have a driver available for 2.6 64bit yet. While using the X interface in Fedora Core 2, if I exit to the shell from gnome the interface locks up, and a control-alt-delete fixes it after the gracefull reboot.

Is there any idea what could be causing this?

Nicholas