problems since last update

Bill Kavadas bill.kavadas at nec.com.au
Mon Jun 21 22:19:18 UTC 2004

Craig Thomas wrote:

> It appears [to me] you have both upgraded your systems to FC2.

Nope.

> apt-get update is what you wanted to use, NOT _upgrade_.  Big
> difference.  Update will update your current system packages, upgrade
> will upgrade your system...in this case from FC1 to FC2.

Actually that's not quite right (from man apt-get):

apt-get update        - re-sync package index with sources
apt-get upgrade       - upgrade current system packages
apt-get dist-upgrade  - upgrade the system

I've only ever done an apt-get upgrade on this box.

uname -r
2.4.22-1.2115.nptl

However, on another box I have, I've done the full apt-get dist-upgrade
(which has upgraded me to FC2) and I don't seem to have any problems.

Cheers,
Bill