KVM FYI

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Mon Jun 21 23:32:29 UTC 2004

Dwaine Castle wrote:

>I like the way Greg Swallow is reasoning here.  I've emailed several KVM
>switch manufacturers about support for FC2, but to date I've only received 2
>done is to add FC2 to their tech-support databases.  Normally, a pre-sales
>tech-support question gets answered in a matter of hours.  I think that the
>root cause may be that there is not a clear KVM specification.  KVMs exist
>in every server room in the world, so there is a significant market for
>them.  However, there are several varieties PS2, USB, & IP.  Our problem
>seems to be specific to the PS2 group and the PS2 group, IMHO, consists of
>home users.   The home-user market may not be able to compel manufactures to
>develop a device for such a small market as FC2.  Home users are
>contributing to the development of FC2, so I think that asking the Fedora
>for some support is not unfair.  When I get up to speed I'll write something
>I'm just not there yet.

Not exactly. Probably in the US , USB KVM are more widespread , but here
in Brazil it's hard to find those.
On my last job (as a admin on the computer science department of the
university where I study) , we bought in january or february two linksys
PS2 KVMs with 8 ports each for the servers (to replace two old KVMs and
also to connect more machines to the monitor , keyboard and mouse).
The fun thing is that manufacturers should really pay attention to what
they do... Given that there's no spec for KVMs , they should to their
best to make good products , as home networks are getting more common
and linux is spreading fast ... (but I guess that's too hard for them..
even when there's a spec , they do some stupid things , like linksys did
on my router , which simply doesnt forward port 21 to any machine...)

--
Pedro Macedo