Re: perl and UTF-8

Anand Buddhdev wrote:

UTF is the future, and in the long run, it's better if all software
and systems know about and use UTF. It was a bold step by Redhat to
make UTF the default way back in version 8, and it caused some
problems initially, but most problems are now solved. I don't think
they will change this in the future, and I personally think it's a
good idea. Just be aware that sed and grep are quite slow in UTF
environments, and you should run then like this if you know your text
is ascii:

LANG=C grep ....

This shouldnt be needed.. I remmember seeing a update announcement for grep released some time ago that should fix this on fedora-announce-list. If it is still slow , please fill a report on bugzilla.

--
Pedro Macedo