hard drive clicking

Bill Johnson Bill at JohnsonAcres.com
Tue Jun 22 02:54:27 UTC 2004

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> Apologies if this post seems redundant.  I recently read some posts
> about
> > people having problems with the hard drive clicking under Fedora Core 1.
> > I am experiencing that same issue, and wanted to re-read the thread, but
> > cannot find it. I've searched the archives to no avail.  So, can anybody
>      1. give me the solution?
>
> try This..
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-June/msg00629.html
>

> --

Silly me.  I was searching for "hard drive" rather than "hardrive".  No
wonder I didn't get a hit.

Thanks for the link.  That was the thread I remembered, but unfortunately
it never reached any conclusion or solution.

I have tried the solutions related to getting more ventilation to the
laptop (propping it up a couple inches, etc.), but the clicking continues
(albeit a little less frequently when I tried those things).  One thing
I'd like to understand better is acpi.  How do I use acpi to control the
fan?  Is it possible that I need to do something there?  I don't hear the
fan running on this laptop like I would expect.

Thanks for the help!

Bill Johnson