Samba Shared Folders over a WAN link

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Tue Jun 22 17:21:27 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-15 at 22:16, Alan Horn wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
>
> > 1. lupfs
> > 2. WebDAV. which, to me, unless it can be mounted and I can
> > perform a File->Save and browse to it, won't be of much use to me.
> >
> > I'll see how it goes
>
> Have you considered something a little less interactive such as CVS ? It
> sounds like you are collaborating with people in a different place,
> perhaps it would be better to keep your data under CVS, then do the 'check
> out, edit, check in' cycle ?

I am sort of. However, the thing is, Not everyone is using Linux and
most are on Windows machines and we usually just share M$ files :(

excel and stuffs. It's binary and I don't expect ppl ascustomed to M$ to
know how to use CVS

> Transport for that would be ssh with the same performance you would
> expect.
>
> shfs looks very nice, but I really would advise against any sort of
> interactive filesystem access across a WAN link. You're just going to get
> yourself into a world of pain. By attempting to avoid that extra little
> 'push the data back to the server' step you will ultimately slow down your
> overall workflow since you will sit waiting and twiddling your thumbs for
> _EVERY_ file operation to the remote filesystem.

Well.. it's _an_ alternative

> Better to edit the data locally then push it by some of the many available
> methods (webdav, http put, cvs, rsync, etc...)

That's exactly what I'm doing now actually. Which is a pain.. since I
have to go into the server and then change permissions and ownership and
stuffs.

> I've been doing this a long time (10+ years) so I'm not a newbie here :)

Neither Am I.