Empty Windows network

Jon Shorie jshorie at medinaco.org
Tue Jun 22 17:38:11 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 12:00, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 09:53, Jon Shorie wrote:
> > > I've been using FC 1 for months, and I never had troubles browsing the
> > > local windows network (just a bit slow, indeed).
> > >
> > > Now, with FC 2, I always get an empty windows when I select "Network
> > > Servers" from the main menu (I'm using GNOME, but it should not be
> > > different on KDE) and then "Windows Network".
> >
> > I had the same problem until I activated the lisa daemon.  Now it works
> > properly.  To do this, do an su - then setup.  Select services and make
> > sure that lisa has a check box in front of it.
> >
> > I am not sure why this is needed, but I just know that it solved my
> > problem.
>
> Ah!  This is one of those nagging issues that has eluded a fix for me.
> I have seen the same behavior, FC 1 you could see the other Windows
> systems and Samba servers via the Network Servers item in the main menu.
>
> But under FC 2 this is always empty.
>
> What is interesting is if I select browse folder (right click on the
> home icon) and put smb://nameofserver in the location I get the password
> requester and can see the shares on that server.
>
> I looked for the "lisa" service but did not see that.  What package is
> that part of?

I did a yum provides lisa, and I think that it comes from:
kdenetwork.i386 7:3.2.2-1 matches with  /etc/rc.d/init.d/lisa

This is the start/stop/status script for lisa.

#!/bin/bash
#
# Startup script for LISa
#
# chkconfig: - 92 36
#              end user systems. It provides something like a \
#              "network neighbourhood", but only relying on the TCP/IP \
#              protocol stack, no smb or whatever.\
#              The information about the hosts in your "neighbourhood" \
#              is provided via TCP port 7741.
# processname: lisa
# config: /etc/lisarc

We have 25 win2k and 10 win9x boxes here at work.  Now that I am running lisa,
I can access all of them if file sharing is enabled.

One thing to keep in mind though is that if you have win2k boxes, the windows
maintenance share is normally enabled by default.  Konqueror and some other
browsers on linux machines can connect to this maintenance share and get full
access to the hard drive on the windows box.  (One more example of windows
wonderful security.)

The sysadmins here use this function to push software updates out to some of
our windows machines.