x86 or x86_64 ISO Download

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jun 22 18:49:47 UTC 2004

rayzor at rf3labs.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Linux and would like to know what I need to download - x86 or
> x86_64 ISO? I am not sure what type of processor I have. I have RH9 installed
> on this machine that I'm trying to upgrade to Fedora, is there a way to check
> my processor type so I can download the appropriate ISO?

Try "cat /proc/cpuinfo".  That'll tell you what kind of processor you
have:

[root at prophead root]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 10
cpu MHz         : 864.496
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips        : 1723.59

The Pentium III is also known as the "686" as far as the kernels are
concerned.

RH9 wasn't available for X86_64 (Athlon/Opteron).  "uname -a" will tell
you a lot of info, too, but it won't tell you exactly _which_ Intelish
processor you have, just what the kernel was built for.
-  Jimmie crack corn and I don't care...what kind of lousy attitude  -
-                 is THAT to have, huh?   -- Dennis Miller           -