problems with mail (FIXED)

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Jun 22 21:05:09 UTC 2004

Jeff Vian wrote:

> Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>
>> Am Mo, den 21.06.2004 schrieb Jeff Vian um 23:04:
>>

>>> We recently had an extended power outage at a remote site and one of
>>> my servers was shutdown hard.
>>>
>>> After power was restored (3 days later) and it came back up I have
>>> been having problems with mail.
>>> I first noticed it when my daily logwatch reports were no longer
>>> being sent.
>>> On further investigation I find that I cannot even send mail from
>>> one user to another on the same box.
>>> I have done a complete update, replaced procmail and sendmail,
>>> rechecked all the configs in case something had gotten hosed, and
>>> rebooted several times as well as restarting services.  Nothing has
>>> worked so far.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have pointers on where to look for this type problem?
>>>

>> What does the /var/log/maillog say when trying to send a mail locally?
>> Does the sendmail daemon run (2 processes!)? Please provide us with
>> error messages or don't you get any feedback when sending a mail? How do
>> you send? If you send a test mail locally by running something like
>> "date | mail -s "test mail" recipient at localhost", is that accepted
>> without any complaint?
>>
>> Alexander
>>

> I also checked my firewall on this server and disabled it for testing,
> with no effect.

I hate replying to myself. ;-)

I made one more attempt, and did a delete of both sendmail and
sendmail-cf packages.
I reinstalled them both and rebuilt the sendmail.cf file for my site
from scratch. Then sendmail started working properly.

As I figured, it was a borked config, but apparently it was in the
sendmail-cf package and not in sendmail as I originally thought.  Go
figure.

Thanks for the clues Alexander.