can not access the internet

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Jun 22 21:31:43 UTC 2004

At 03:21 PM 6/22/2004, Nina Pham wrote:
>Hi I built a linux dialup server. From my pc, I successfully dial in, I
>can browse the file from my home directory, but I can't ping or access
>internet, even though I can do all that from the linux box. What are the
>possibilities cause of that beside the firewall since I already checks the
>firewall and it ought to work with my current rules. Thanks

It might be a routing issue. Think of routes as paths or streets; you must
have them in order to move things from one place to another. The firewall
is then like a guard at the gate; it lets traffic pass or not depending on
its configuration. But you can have a firewall that does allow traffic
through, and things may still not work because there are no streets for the
data to travel. They have permission to go, but no way to do it. Make sense?

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com