System with two operating systems in two disks

Jeff Ratliff jefrat at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 22 21:32:15 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 02:49:33AM -0500, Javier Perez wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am running Fedora in one computer and now I want to make some
> tests. I have an 80G HD that I can add as a slave to the system.
>
> I want to install the second HD with its own OS that I can play with
> in such a way that my original OS is not disturbed.
>
> I know maybe this is a question for a GRUB List but I wonder if
> somebody else have done this and if there is a good how-to that could
> guide me in this.

  When I installed FC2 I did exactly what you're describing. I
left my FC1 install alone, and installed FC2 on a partition at
the end of the second disk. I told the installer to leave my
MBR alone, and updated GRUB manually.

Getting GRUB to work was rough, but I worked it out. The docs
for GRUB are great, but not easy to quickly glance through for
and answer.

It really depends on what you're installing on the second disk,
but I'm sure someone here can help you get GRUB straightened out
so the second OS will boot.