*nice* maillog output

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Jun 22 21:36:32 UTC 2004

Craig Tinson wrote:

> ok.. re previous post about "fix"
>
> it doesn't work.. lol
>
> why would:
>
> tail -500 /var/log/maillog | grep -v imapd |grep -v connection |grep
> -v processing| cut -d" " -f0,3,6,7,8,9,10| grcat conf.craig
>
> work.. but

This one ends the tail output and passes it to grep .... etc

> tail -f /var/log/maillog | grep -v imapd |grep -v connection |grep -v
> processing| cut -d" " -f0,3,6,7,8,9,10| grcat conf.craig
>
> *not* work..

This one never ends the tail output, so it never releases control to the
following commands. Grep is waiting for the end of the input before it
gives the output.

> but:
>
> tail -f /var/log/maillog | grcat conf.log
>
> work..

Probably grep is waiting for the end of the input so it can finish
processing, while great does similar to tail.  It just streams the input
to output.

> so it's not a problem with grcat I don't think..
>
> any ideas?

Maybe you need to use a temp file as output of the tail, then use a cron
to run the grep chain and pass it thru great.  Or do as some have
suggested and use a perl script to do the processing.