Boot Issues with FC2

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Jun 22 21:23:35 UTC 2004

Lonnie Santella wrote:

> Can someone please take a shot at this?  seems like a fundamental
> problem, but I've exhausted all my resources. All support docs seem to
> suggest the same thing, which doesn't work: directories relative to
> /boot.
>
> Bottom line is, Red Hat 9.0 installs fine on same machine - but FC2
> always produces the same problem (below).
>
> Here?s a quick review of my environment:
>
> (1) Always a COMPLETELY clean install ? using Drive Image utility to
> erase all partitions and restore MBR.
>
> (2) Two machines, both Asus P4 clones with 1 GB RAM, and 1 Western
> Digital 20 GB hard drive each.
>
> (3) Both machines have subsequently loaded Redhat 9.0 and ran
> flawlessly ? no problems at all.
>
> (4) I have two different ISO image CD?s from two different mirrors ?
> both with verified MD5Sum?s and both producing the exact same problem
> each time.
>
> So I?ve been trying to install FC2 ? I?ve just finished my 11th
> attempt. Following the advice of different threads and release notes,
> I always go back to a fresh install before trying anything new.
>
> To minimize variables, I keep the install as simple as possible. I
> choose ?Automatic Partition?, which creates a 100MB /boot on hda1, a
> 17GB ?/? (root) on hda2, and a 2GB swap on hda3. I also choose a
> ?minimal? install to eliminate possible variables from the other CD?s
> ? this way I only have to use CD1.

Try doing a manual partition.  Also verify that the bios is set to lba
for these drives and that fdisk shows the correct lba CHS parameters for
the drives.

> Each time, the install itself is flawless. But after the first reboot
> ? and naturally each time thereafter, immediately following the POST,
> I get a black screen with the word ?GRUB? in the upper left corner. No
> response to keyboard strokes or mouse movement at that point.
>
> I have to rule out hardware ? since this problem with FC2, I have
> successfully installed and ran RedHat 9.0 and FreeBSD 4.10. I always
> use a tried and true utility to erase the hard drives of all
> partitions and restore MBR before installing anything new. This
> guarantees a pristine physical drive during the install.
>
> I compared the grub.conf files on each machine after the FC2 install.
> They are identical. No big surprise there I guess. Then, just for
> further comparison, I isolated one machine and wiped it clean, and
> loaded RedHat 9.0. Then I compared it?s grub.conf to that of the FC2
> install. Almost identical except for the ?/? (root) and swap
> partitions. In each case the /boot partition is always the first
> (hda1). In FC2, the ?/? root partition is the second one (hda2)
> followed but the swap on hda3. But in RedHat 9.0, the swap is on hda2,
> followed by the / root on hda3. No big deal there, the grub.conf files
> compensate for this but looking to hda2 on FC2 and hda3 on RedHat 9.0
> as one would expect.
>
> Both grub.conf files from FC2 and RedHat 9.0 list an entry as follows:
>
> Root (hd0,0)
>
> ? I?m not sure if having different root partitions should affect this
> or not, but it?s the same in both OS?s.
>
> One other thing I thought was odd is that on both machines, the
> standard FC2 install puts a strange format or partition table on the
> physical drive; so much so that it takes a few extreme steps to wipe
> the partition info off the drive. Normally I would just use the
> ?delete? function of the utility, which works for all the RedHat
> dirstros and FreeBSD ? but in FC2 it generates and error stating that
> it can?t delete the partition. I have to use a utility called
> ?bigfdisk? then put a dos partition on it, then delete the dos
> partition ? to get everything set back to a completely empty hard drive.

This is the clue that you may need to check the CHS values and do a
manual partiton

I suspect you are seeing the bug related to some mobo/bios and the lba
parameters with the 2.6 kernel and partitoning.

My MSI mobo had this problem and after I manually set the CHS parameters
on the disk it worked perfectly.

I thought I had the link to the fix for this bookmarked but I can't find
it right now.

Maybe someone can repost the link here.