YUM Output

david david at daku.org
Tue Jun 22 22:08:04 UTC 2004

Folks

I run the "yum" package from a cron job.  When it's finished, cron nicely
mails me a copy of the results.  BUT....since yum outputs all those
overwritten lines marking real-time progress, I get mail with a lot of "junk".

I think it's because yum outputs lines using CR to rewrite the line, so one
gets
someprogressCRsomemoreprogressCRthelastprogressCRLF

It looks OK on a real screen, where each line overwrites the previous, but
in mail it looks bad.

Is there some way I can direct or control the output of yum to avoid the
"real-time" updates, and produce only the final results?

David