second IP address

alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue Jun 22 23:18:05 UTC 2004

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Nina Pham wrote:

> I need to create a vpn server on my FC2 system server. I want to have a
> second IP address dedicated for the vpn server. How do I make the system
> to recognize both ip addresses(its own , and vpn server) at the same time?

You should be able to bind multiple addresses to a single ethernet card.

I am not certain if there is a guio for doing this.  I just use the brute
force method.

Go into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and make a copy of ifcfg-eth0. Call
it ifcfg-eth0:0.

Edit ifcfg-eth0:0 and change the device to eth0:0 and the ipaddress and
other variables as needed.

When done, run /etc/init.d/network restart

/sbin/ifconfig should show both addresses.

Hope that helps.  (This is from memory, so if it does not work, drop me a
note off-list and I will test what is wrong.)