Re: All filesystems change to read-only after a while with kernel 2.6.6-1.435

Pete Pokrandt wrote:

After upgrading to kernel version 2.6.6-1.435, I'm having an issue
where after the machine is up for several hours, all of a sudden all
of my filesystems (ext3) change to read-only. I tried a stock 2.6.7
kernel built with the config file for fedora-2 2.6.6-1.435 and have
the same results. The problem does not seem to occur using kernel 2.6.6-1.427, at least I haven't had it happen yet.

Unfortunately, since all the filesystems are read-only, I have
no debug info or any idea what exactly is happening, because
the system logger can't write to the system logs once the root fs
becomes read-only. Screensaver had kicked in too, so no useful
info on the monitor either, other than lots of failed journal
updates related to the fs being read-only.

Upon reboot, the fsck of the / filesystem always fails with messages about inodes being members of orphan nodes. Single user fsck fixes that and the subsequent reboot works fine.

Any ideas, or suggestions as to what I can do to get more info
on what is going on?

You can log to a seperate machine over the network - look in the man page for syslog.conf

--
Scott Burns
Mirrabooka Systems

Tel +61 7 3857 7899