Flame on Disk Druid

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Wed Jun 23 12:56:07 UTC 2004

I just installed Fedora-2 on a new machine,
and found Disk Druid quite useless at partitioning the machine.

I admit that the Windows partitioning was odd, to say the least.
There was a 64GB NTFS first partition,
while the second partition was "Windows 95 Extended"
with a 4MB VFAT partition inside.
The disk is 250GB, so this leaves a lot of space.

First I opted for "automatic partitioning"
but this bombed out with a rather useless error message,
so I was forced to use Disk Druid.
This simply refused to accept anything I suggested.

So I put in a Knoppix CD, and partitioned with fdisk.

I really wish the fdisk option was still offered
as an alternative to Disk Druid.

I've always found Disk Druid greatly inferior to fdisk,
and it doesn't appear to have improved with age.

(I never understood why RedHat used to say
that fdisk was for "experts" as it seems much more straightforward
than Disk Druid to me.)

Please bring back fdisk (or one of its siblings like cfdisk).

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366