RH9 Upgrade to Fedora

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Wed Jun 23 13:08:52 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 15:18 -0400, Ben Russo wrote:
> Then, after you do that... go back to the AT-RPMS site and get their
> kickstart package for Fedora Core 1, upgrade your APT install and
> apt-sources.  Then run "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade; apt-get
> dist-upgrade"
>
> Then go back and do the same think to get you to FC2....
>
> I haven't done this before, but I think it will work.

Neither have I, but I'd just go straight for FC2 with an anaconda
upgrade.  First check for any known problems with your hardware/
configuration (i.e W2K dual/boot, XFree86/xorg upgrade problems, NVidia
drivers, ...).

If you have 3rd party packages installed you may have to accept that
there will be dependency problems that anaconda can't resolve.  After
the upgrade (hopefully) boot up and run

rpm -qa --qf "%{INSTALLTIME} %{NAME} %{VERSION} %{RELEASE}\n" | sort -r >RPMS_by_Install_Time

Inspect the output file.  Anything after basesystem predates the upgrade
and is suspect.  Get updates from the same sources, remove, or otherwise
resolve, or live with it if it still works.  Running apt-get or yum
upgrade with FC2 versions of all your favorite repositories will take
care of many of the problems.

Phil