SCSI tape drive not seen in FC1?

Hongwei Li hongwei at morpheus.wustl.edu
Wed Jun 23 14:28:50 UTC 2004

Hi,

We have installed FC1 on a new Dell P4 3Ghz pc.  Everything runs well
except that the scsi tape drive is not seen from fc1.  When I boot the pc,
the motherboard detects the scsi card and the scsi card detects the tape
drive (this DDS4 is the only scsi device in this pc):

AHA-2940UW v.2.11.0 ...
SCSI ID: 2 SONY SDT-11000

Then, the fc1 starts booting and I don't see any information about it.
After fc1 is started, I checked:

# dmesg | grep scsi
scsi0 : ata_piix
scsi1 : ata_piix

but, no output from:
# dmesg | grep st0
# dmesg | grep st1

If I run:

# /bin/mt -f /dev/st0 rewind
/dev/st0: No such device

I go to KDE -- Hardware Browser -- SCSI Devices, it shows:
AHA 2940UW Pro/AIC-7888x

but no device is displayed.  I go to KDE -- Cotrol Center -- Information
-- SCSI, it shows: "Attached devises: none"

This tape drive was used in our another rh7.3 linux very well until I took
it out from that system and installed in this fc1 a few days ago.

The motherboard can see it, but fc1 can only see the scsi card, not the
tape drive.  Can somebody tell me why? how to fix the problem?  Is there
anything else I should do?

Thanks a lot!

Hongwei Li