Yum update Service help

Colin J Thomson colin at g6avk.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 23 15:21:06 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 23 Jun 2004 16:10, James Kosin wrote:
> Colin J Thomson wrote:
> | I found that there is a service for Yum "to auto update" but have been
> | struggling to get it to work. I have checked the config, and
> | chkconfig shows it as running:
> |
> | yum             0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> |
> | Am I right in assuming that it is run as part of cron.daily
>
> | file "yum.cron" in my /etc/cron.daily DIR.
> | Since I setup this to run and when my cron.daily runs the Yum auto
> | update does not work am I missing something here, perhaps another
> | config file

> Tell us the output of
> 	service yum status

Oh I forgot that:

[colinjt at localhost cron.daily]$ service yum status
Nightly yum update is enabled.

> chkconfig only tells you if the service is set to autostart on next boot
> up and does not tell us if the service is currently running.

> The cron daily items are probably there to parse any log files and
> report back via email to root what has been updated or needs updating.
> Or if any errors happen along the way.

Ok, thanks for this info,
so am I right in assuming that somewhere there is a config file that says
what time the Yum update runs.. because this Box is not on 24/7, thats why
I changed my cron times to suit.

Thanks

Colin
--
Fedora Core 2, Custom Built Kernel 2.6.7
KDE-Redhat-3.2.3