How often should prelink run ?

Hi all!

I know that prelink'ing is for gathering information about
shared libraries and causes stuff to start faster.

What I have missed so far is how often it should run ?

Is it really necessary for a daily prelink via cron ?

Prelink causes heavy disk activity and CPU utilization on my
machine. I suppose it's sufficent to run it only if I have
updated/installed stuff, right ?

Thanks for any insight!

Cheers,
Hannes.