FC 2 Reboot problem after Kernel upgrade.

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Wed Jun 23 18:10:06 UTC 2004

On Jun 23, 2004 at 19:51, Franco in a soothing rage wrote:

[top posting rearranged]
>ne... ha scritto:
>
>> On Jun 23, 2004 at 17:54, Franco in a soothing rage wrote:
>>

>>>Hi, i have installed FC 2.0 on my server, than i have
>>>used yum to upgrade all packages including last Kernel
>>>update, after the Kernel upgrade when i reboot -n or
>>>shutdown -r , the server close all services and when
>>>it should must reboot it show restarting system without
>>>power off.
>>>If i reboot the server with the old Kernel it give the
>>>same problem but if i don't update the Kernel the reboot
>>>command work fine.
>>>Any ideas ?!
>>
>> Yes, please do not hijack threads. Your post has nothing
>> to do with 'Apache php problem'. Instead of hitting reply
>> and deleting the previous subject, hilite the reply-to
>> address and paste that into a new compose window.
>>
>> And now to your 'problem'. Previous kernel had a problem
>> in that they would shut down the harddrives on a reboot.
>> This was the only way to get them to sync and caused a
>> whole heap of problems. The kernel has now being changed
>> so that harddrives no longer shutdown. So the current
>> behaviour with the new kernel is the correct behaviour.
>Sorry for my mistake.
>
>Now for my problem,
>i understrand what you tell, but with the 2.6.5 reboot command
>work fine, with 2.6.6 instead the reboot command stop with this
>"restarting system" without power-off and to reboot it i need to
>turn off the power with the button.
>How can i resolve the problem ?
Hmmm, are you logged in as root on the console?
I have had problems halting one of my machines
as a non-root user. The machine would not turn
off. When I log in as root everything is fine.
Or is may be a case of apm/acpi blues... I'm
not sure.

N.Emile...
One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.
 14:06:54  up 12 days,  7:40,  5 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00