Changing prompt and echo statement colours?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Jun 23 20:10:43 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 15 June 2004 23:07, T. 'Nifty New Hat' Mitchell wrote:

New hat eh?  I found me one at a truck stop in Iowa while on a trip
west this past week, says "I'm retired" in big bold letters on line 1
and "(this is a dressed up as I get)" on line 2.  Obviously I had to
have it. :-)

>On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 03:07:00PM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>> Am Mo, den 14.06.2004 schrieb Chadley Wilson um 14:13:
>> > I would like to have a message displayed when users open the
>> > terminal. This I can do! But.

>> http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO.html
>
>Did this URL move/break?  Anyhow since it looks broken at this
> moment.
>
>Two quick reminders.
>
>In the .bash-* files remember to verify that this is an interactive
>tty (pseudo terminal session).  Many scripts, cronjobs, remote user,
>ssh user stuff will BREAK if bash is noisy when it should be quiet.

Stuff like X!  I spent a week trying to figure that one out as it was
several days after I changed the prompt before I had to restart X,
and all I could get was the black screen with a working X shaped
mouse pointer.  No errors, none, nada, were being logged.

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.  Soap, ballot,