Pbs of disk access

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Jun 23 21:55:51 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 23.06.2004 schrieb D. D. Brierton um 23:07:

> Does anyone know if there is a umask which would leave directories "x"
> for user and group but not ordinary files? I currently use
>
> users,gid=users,umask=007
>
> in /etc/fstab for a couple of vfat partitions that I want access to, but
> it is (only a very slight) annoyance that that also makes files have
> permissions -rwxrwx--- whereas I would prefer that for directories and
> have only -rw-rw---- for ordinary files.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Best, Darren

Why is that a problem for you? It is just cosmetic because FAT
partitions mounted does know nothing about execution permissions - it
does not matter whether an ordinary file is chmod 660 or 770. Use Linux
filesystems if you wish to control permissions which are common on *NIX
systems ;)

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435
Serendipity 23:52:45 up 22:30, 8 users, 1.13, 1.29, 1.29