relaying denied

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Jun 23 22:08:47 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 23.06.2004 schrieb olga at urbantimes.net um 23:14:

> It's not that I was complaining (which I am NOT); I just wanted to
> understand why it is going on and whether Sendmail on both servers works
> like it is supposed to.
> Thank you for your explanation. I would prefer not to send the real
> ips/domain names if I could. What was strange to me is that I do not get
> such 'relaying denied' messages for other domains -- only for those that
> are on Y as far as I can tell.
>
> Olga

Olga,

it is only in your hand to judge whether the "relaying denied" cases are
right behaviour of your Sendmail installation or not. I can understand
that you won't post real data about own domains and server addresses
through this high frequency list, but on the other hand it makes it
impossible to say something concrete.

You will have to carefully check your maillog and look at each rejection
why it happened. If you think it is a misconfiguration you will have to
consult the available documentation. If you think it is a bug - which I
hardly doubt -, then post it with real data to sendmail.org. From my
impression you only posted cases where SPAMmers still hit the old
primary server or directly try the low priority MX first. Very common if
running mail servers nowadays.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435
Serendipity 00:02:47 up 22:40, 8 users, 1.63, 1.50, 1.37