Proxy server

T. 'Nifty New Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 24 09:09:38 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 01:12:12PM -0500, Skylar Thompson wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 01:27:59PM -0000, Srinivasan S wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Can some one please recommend a small proxy server that I can run on
> > Fedora Core 2.  My box is not powerful enough and my requirements not big
> > enough to run Squid.
> >
> > I currently run tinyproxy (from sourceforge) on a cable modem connection
> > and find that its very slow.  Any recommendations/links would be
> > helpful.
>
> What kind of specs are we talking about? With some tweaks, I've gotten
> Squid running very nicely on a P-I 200MHz with 128MB of RAM running NetBSD
> 1.6.1.

I run squid on a single user workstation.  It lets me set a zero size
cache in my browsers.  Since I have multiple browsers (mozilla,
Netscape, opera, ...)  and multiple profiles I had noted that each had
a generous but redundant cache.  A local squid proxy effectively
merges them all for me and lets me make the cache quite large.
The standard caching by mozilla is obvious when I do a backup of
my home dir.

If tinyproxy or squid is slow it may have to do with host name lookups
and other simple networking than system power.   Have you turned off IPV6?
Most of us should ...

Have you turned on a local caching name server.  I recommend nscd!:

  /usr/sbin/nscd - name service cache daemon

You box might also be swapping or be overloaded in some other way.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l