Both SMP and regular kernels - FC 2

John DeCarlo jdecarlo at mitre.org
Thu Jun 24 12:41:18 UTC 2004

Hello,

I have a strange situation.

When I installed FC 2, I had just kernel 2.6.5-1.358.  Later, to try and
get the NVIDIA driver working, I downloaded and installed the 8kstacks
version.

When 2.6.6-1.427 came out, yum update downloaded and installed both the
regular and the 427smp kernels.  And when 435 came out, the same thing
happened.

Now I didn't worry about it much - I never boot the smp kernel.  But I
found that when recompiling the Broadcom driver (tg3 still doesn't work
for me with the Cisco VPN software), it wouldn't work until I had copied
bcm5700.ko into the equivalent kernel/drivers/net directory under the
smp kernel as well.

I have googled on this with no luck.

Anyone have any ideas beyond just starting over from scratch?  Did yum
get confused when I had the 8kstack kernel installed?  Or is it
something else?

Thanks.

--

John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own