FC1 -> FC2: very slow xDSL connection...

Andrea Giuliano a.giuliano at iccu.sbn.it
Thu Jun 24 15:21:38 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 15:29, Andy Green wrote:

> What kind of hardware interface does the ADSL modem have?  If it is Ethernet,
> use tcpdump to look at the traffic, eg, /sbin/tcpdump host 192.168.0.1 if
> that is your ADSL router IP.  If it is USB or something else, you need to use
> tcpdump -i <interface name> instead.

It's an Ethernet ADSL modem, namely the Siemens Gigaset. I'll try
tcpdump as soon as possible.

> You should consider turning off ECN as a test too since some routers choke on
> it.
> echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn
What's that?

> Also, what is your network setup like generally?
Well, I started configuring eth0 and ppp0, but in an Italian document I
found a different suggestion: remove eth0 (using the "Network" menù
item), then add an xDSL connection with just a name ("Alice"), username
and password. All other fields must be left as they are. In particular,
the device used is eth0 by default, and IP and DNS info are obtained at
dialup.

Here is the /etc/sysconfig/network/devices/ifcfg-Alice script:
------
IPV6INIT=no
ONBOOT=no
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=yes
TYPE=xDSL
DEVICE=ppp0
BOOTPROTO=dialup
PIDFILE=/var/run/pppoe-adsl.pid
FIREWALL=NONE
PING=.
PPPOE_TIMEOUT=80
LCP_FAILURE=3
LCP_INTERVAL=20
CLAMPMSS=1412
CONNECT_POLL=6
CONNECT_TIMEOUT=60
PERSIST=no
SYNCHRONOUS=no
DEFROUTE=yes
USER=aliceadsl
ETH=eth0
PROVIDER=Alice
DEMAND=no
-----

Can it be of help?

Thanks a lot anyway.

--
Andrea Giuliano, Ph. D.
ICCU - Istituto Centrale per il Catalogo Unico