Flame on Disk Druid

Jeff Ratliff jefrat at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 24 15:52:26 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 01:19:47PM +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Doncho N. Gunchev wrote:
>
> >> I just installed Fedora-2 on a new machine,
> >> and found Disk Druid quite useless at partitioning the machine.
>
> >     You don't say anything specific here. I used Disk Druid all the
> > time and never had so serious problem (only once selecting to format
> > the free space with FC2) and I do not use standard/simple setups.
>
> I think I explained my situation pretty clearly.
> I have a 240GB disk.
> The first partition on this is a 60GB NTFS partition.

I'm assuming this partition was created by Windows? This would be
/dev/hda1, correct?
> The second partition is a 4GB "Win 95 Extended" partition,
This is /dev/hda2? How did you create this partition?

> containing a 4GB FAT32 partition.
So this would be /dev/hda5? Again, did Windows create this partiton,
or was it created some other way?

> DiskDruid would not allow me to use the remaining 180GB for Linux.
What do you mean "would not allow"? Do you have an actual error
message?

> The "automatic" option failed,
What do you mean by "failed"? An error message would help.

> and when DiskDruid was invoked it refused all choices I made.

Did you get error messages? What do you mean by refused? I think
this is the kind of stuff Doncho was referring to when he said
you weren't being specific. Also I imagine a cut and paste from
fdisk showing the partition boundaries would help.

Although I've used Disk Druid without problem, I think traffic on
the list shows it has problems. It might be worth looking for it in
bugzilla and adding your data. This information is valuable.

I very much agree fdisk should still be an option on a menu for
partitioning (maybe with suitable warnings against using it if
you don't know what you're doing). I'm much more comfortable with
fdisk than disk druid. I know how to escape out of X to get to
a virtual console, but I don't know that it would occur to me to
do that during an install (at least not right away).