the GIMP causing corruption in X

Has anyone noticed that after using the gimp for a while the whole KDE desktop environment becomes unusable chaos?

I have had some very hard to explain Desktop wierdness associated with extensive use of the gimp in the past but after the last update I am getting such bad corruption of the X displays that they become unusable.