Problems with FC 2 - Touch-pad and PCMCIA Ethernet card

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu Jun 24 20:53:12 UTC 2004

Scot L. Harris wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 10:13, Daniele Masini wrote:
>

>>Yes, I know. My PCMCIA Ethernet card is configured as NOT TO START ON BOOT. So I
>>expected that the card works as in FC1, so after the boot the card sould be up.
>>But it does not work since I type the command

The card *should* activate on boot when pcmcia services are started.

The network config for eth0 *should NOT* activate on boot.

In other words, under the network config where you define the IP
address, etc. you should tell it to not activate at boot and save that.
 Then check the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and
verify it contains a line "ONBOOT=no".  If it says "ONBOOT=yes" change
that to "ONBOOT=no".

Now verify that pcmcia and network services are set to activate on boot.
"# chkconfig --list pcmcia" should return something like
pcmcia     0:off  1:off  2:on  3:on   4:on   5:on    6:off
and "# chkconfig --list network" should return something like
network     0:off  1:off  2:on  3:on   4:on   5:on    6:off

With this config it will activate the network services, but the eth0
interface will not be started.  Then when the pcmcia service is started
it will activate that interface as it configures the card and you should
be up and running.