DVD Decrypter equavalent for Linux

alan alan at clueserver.org
Fri Jun 25 00:42:18 UTC 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 06:07:33PM -0700, Barry Yu wrote:
> > There is program named DVD DECRYTER in Win version can rip dvd into an
> > iso file and place it in hard drive, then mount this iso file on a
> > virtue dvd drive so a regular dvd player software can play it. If there
> > is one like this ( enable user to copy dvd disc into hard drive and play
> > it there )  for Linux ?
> > Tks for info
>
> 	You can just use the libdvdcss stuff and access encrypted
> DVD's directly.  Why worry about ripping it to the hard drive?
> I watch encrypted DVD's using Ogle with no problem.  They just
> can't ship that stuff with the distros due to lawyer type probs.

Some people want the ability to copy multiple movies to the hard drive for
convienience.  (It would be very handy for long airplane trips, for
example.  Or tranquilizing the sprogs on those long car trips without
worrying about getting the DVD collection scratched beyond playability.)

Reminds me of the Bizzaro cartoon where a newreporter has a screen behind
him saying "Lawyers ruin everything" and a lawyer.  The reporter is saying
"Our legal department has told us we cannot broadcast our next story."