Fedora needs more evangelism for repositories

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Fri Jun 25 04:09:17 UTC 2004

James Wilkinson wrote:

>Brad Smith came up with a list of reasons why some users might prefer
>not to use repositories.
>
>Another one is that they don't work well with sneakernet, in my
>experience.

This is something that always bothered me with yum (specially). Even on
cable , sometimes I have to abort a update because I need to reboot to
do something important.. And usually this happens when I'm at 50%
download of a big package (usually kernel-sourcecode). Then , the next
yum run , I have to restart the download (I know it's only the download
of a single package , but for dialup users this is a nightmare. For me ,
it's just a little delay in the updates , but I still dont like the
waste of bandwith caused by the lack of a resume function in yum).
Maybe if yum had a resume feature , it would be more dialup friendly ...
And there's also the headers issue (downloading all those headers on
dialup probably isnt fun at all).

--
Pedro Macedo