SRPMS or non-SRPMS discs ISO?

T. Nifty Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 25 04:26:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:19:09PM +0300, Markku Kolkka wrote:
> rayzor at rf3labs.com kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika tiistai,
> 22. kesäkuuta 2004 22:12):

> > I am ready to download the ISO and I noticed there's the SRPMS
> > and non-SRPMS discs. What is the difference between the two?
>
> SRPMS contain the source code packages for the distribution, the
> other disks are the binary installation discs.
>
> > What would determine what I need to download?
>
> If you want to install Linux, get the non-SRPMS discs.

Recall that the GPL requires that source be made available to the end
user.  You are not required to download up the source but you have the
right to it.  By making the source images available at the same time
that the binary bits are made available RH complies with the GPL.

    http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

    3.  You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it,
    under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of
    Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

	* a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
	  source code, which must be distributed under the terms of
	  Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software
	  interchange; or,

	T o m  M i t c h e l l