gnome memory leaks, use all swap after hours

Ben Steeves ben.steeves at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 14:11:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:04:18 +0300, Marius Andreiana
<mandreiana at rdslink.ro> wrote:

> Hi
>
> After 5-8 hrs of using the system i noticed all swap was used and it was
> very slow (256mb ram, 256mb swap).
> System Monitor shown
> Epiphany using 180mb (subprocesses: acroread, java-vm),
> evolution at 137mb,
> evolution data server at 75mb,
> evolution alarm notify at 60mb (I don't need this),
> nautilus 42mb
> gnome-panel 42mb
> clock applet at 19mb,
>
> I started to kill processes and then swap was freed. Anybody else having
> this?
> Using FC2 + errata.

I run the same applications and my uptime is measured in weeks,
typically.  Of course, I have 1GB of RAM, not 256MB.  I find that FC2
(any Linux with X and GNOME or KDE, really) needs at least 512MB to be
comfortable (more if you're using a slow disk, like on a laptop).

Keep in mind that Evolution uses a lot of shared memory, so those
measurements are probably not accurate.  IIRC, System Monitor doesn't
take shared memory into account.
--
Ben Steeves
            ben.steeves at gmail.com