X freeze with kernels 2.6.6-X

Marco Coli marco.coli at hi-cad.it
Fri Jun 25 17:08:05 UTC 2004

I have a big problem.

All was OK with previous releases (RH, FC1), and also witj FC2 with
kernels 2.6.5-X.

The problems started with the first 2.6.6 upgrade. At the beginning, I
supposed it was a bug of the first 2.6.6, but after there came upgrades
to the kernel and the problems continued.

If I start at level 5 (X) or at level 3 and then start X manually, the
system freezes after a while. Only phisical reset is possible. There is
a problem also with audio, infact befor freezing, every gnome audio
event plays 3/4 times instead than once (!)

My graphic card is an ATI 9600 (i tried also the simple "vesa" driver in
x config, but things didn't change), audio in integrated VIA
Technologies|VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller, with driver
snd-via82xx.

No particular custom configuration, all fedora drivers, fresh install
(not upgrade) from FC1.

If i boot back with kernel-2.6.5, all works well.

Should I file a bug? Anyone in a situation like this?

Thank you
--
Saluti - Marco Coli