Another sendmail relaying problem.

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jun 25 17:30:24 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-25 at 13:22, Franco wrote:
> Hi, i say that someone is able to bounce a message through my
> server to local user, it can use the server smtp to delivery
> to local user but the mail from must be any local user.
>
> Example: on my server i have 20 local users, one of this
> is pippo at ppppp.com, someone send e-mail through my server using
> my server smtp and in the from address of e-mail put pippo at ppppp.com
> it send the e-mail without problem.
> So all who want do spamming on my local user can do this.
> How can stop it?

Ah!  If you want to stop spam that is a different problem.  What you
describe is exactly how it is suppose to work.  If you blocked delivery
to your local users then email would not be of any use to them.

But if you want to block spam then you need to install something like
spamassassin on your box.  I believe FC2 ships with version 2.63 which
is the latest.  You will need to spend time deciding how you want to
configure spamassassin for your server and if you want to handle it site
wide or let the users handle it at their level.  There are several ways
to configure it depending on how you decide to do this.

Check out the spamassassin web site and their documentation.  There is a
good day or so of reading and planning you will need to do to set this
up.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

In this world there are only two tragedies.  One is not getting what one
wants, and the other is getting it.
		-- Oscar Wilde