Setting up relaying in Sendmail

Cowles, Steve steve at stevecowles.com
Fri Jun 25 18:39:17 UTC 2004

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>> Am Fr, den 25.06.2004 schrieb Cowles, Steve um 17:20:
>
>> If I understand your post correctly, you simply want to add your private
LAN
>> address to /etc/mail/access. This would allow hosts on your private
subnet
>> to use your MTA to send e-mail. Something like the following should work.
>> Adjust to meet your LAN address.
>>
>> 192.168.9.0/255.255.255.0       RELAY
>>
>> Then type "make" in the /etc/mail directory to rebuild the access
database.

>> Steve Cowles
>
> Steve,
>
> the access_db does nothing about the CIDR notation. If you want to setup
> access rules for nets you must use
>
> 192.168.9        RELAY
>
> which is corresponding to what you wanted to implement by your above
> line. See i.e.
>
> http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.41

Alexander,

Thanks for pointing out the correction to my post. I forgot sendmail's
access_db format does not understand CIDR notation. :-( Add this as
"another" reason why I switched to using postfix as my MTA last year.

BTW: Why are you sending all of your posts PGP signed? i.e.

It's a royal PITA for me to reply to any of your posts. Plus, I have to open
up 3 e-mails just to view them.

Steve Cowles