Fedora - The Next Generation

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Fri Jun 25 22:45:19 UTC 2004

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, Roland Venter wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I would like to hear your feelings on a couple of issues:
>
> To start off I've been using FC1 on serveral servers since it's initial
> release and have had little or no problems, only rebooting for kernel
> upgrades, etc.  Before a flame war starts, I agree that for critical
> production servers you should be running RHEL.  My problem is this:
>
> Several customers are SOHO with less than 15 users and simply cannot justify
> the cost of RHEL or they might as well be running MS SBS, (Some of them
> actually believe the MS propaganda!)

>From this problem description - it appears you want a RHEL clone:
CentOS/WBEL/TaoLinux

http://www.centos.org/
http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/
http://taolinux.org/

> I've been playing round with a couple of ideas:
> Create a single CD Fedora installation with only core apps required for
> business use, eg. postfix, squid, samba etc
> Better inital setup, like a wizard after the install to add domain entries
> to automatically configure postfix, samba and the likes, so after the
> initial reboot you'll have a fully functional server.
> Aditional testing of updates, maybe a separate yum mirror, so nightly
> updates install only critical updates.

there were some discussions in fedora-devel-list about having fedora
support various installation modes - which could include some of the
minimal installs for specific purposes like this. Don't know what
decisions were made there.

Satish