e1000 Woes

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jun 25 23:11:11 UTC 2004

Phil Schaffner wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 16:59 -0700, Curtis Hacker wrote:
>
>>I've been having problems since day1 with my FC1, even
>>FC2.
>>
>>I use a e1000 with a Shuttle case, SS51G.
>>
>>I can't exactly say why it happens, but very commonly
>>my e1000 looses its link to the Linksys Giga switch I
>>have. Its absolutely random, and you can watch all the
>>lights turn off, and eventually turn back on.
>>
>>Its extremly annoying.
>

> Thanks for sharing.  ;^)
>
> Don't see it in Bugzilla.

It's not uncommon for the negotiation between the NIC and the switch
to fail at very weird times.  Try to turn off autonegotiation at both
ends and fix the set both ends 1 gigabit, full duplex.  I'm not sure
how to do that at the Linksys, but the e1000 options are:

	FC1 & FC2:
	    options e1000 Duplex=full Speed=1000 FlowControl=3

-   Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the   -
-                     reader...who doesn't get it.                   -