Re: New Worm Attacks

Today I am one of the happiest home PC users in the world because I am
100% Linux at home. There is absolutely nothing that I ever did at home
using Windows that I can't do using Linux apps, or in a very few cases
Windows apps under Wine.

On the job this is far from the truth. I have been involved in Internet
infrastructure and Internet security on the job at a large Corporation
since 1996. Protecting a large internal network populated almost
exclusively with Microsoft machines is a full time job (for more than
just one person) because the attacks are non-stop and will only continue
to get worse. The exception to the Microsoft domination of our
organization is the Internet and Telecom infrastructure that my group
provides. Recently I have been charged with exploring Microsoft
alternatives. I accepted the challenge but when I make my presentation
to management I might just get fired.

I have worked with Unix/Linux systems on the job and casually at home
for years. It has always represented a superior server in my opinion.
Now it offers a viable alternative as a desktop solution. I applaud all
who have made contributions to making this a very real fact.

To all who continue to use Microsoft either directly or indirectly -
good luck fighting the never ending security war and trying to keep up
with Microsoft violating the standards in order to force people to buy
their products.