Fedora - The Next Generation

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sat Jun 26 14:14:34 UTC 2004

At 04:18 PM 6/25/2004, Roland Venter wrote:
>I've been playing round with a couple of ideas:
>Create a single CD Fedora installation with only core apps required for
>business use, eg. postfix, squid, samba etc
>Better inital setup, like a wizard after the install to add domain entries
>to automatically configure postfix, samba and the likes, so after the
>initial reboot you'll have a fully functional server.

Kickstart!

>Aditional testing of updates, maybe a separate yum mirror, so nightly
>updates install only critical updates.

Beyond the scope, objectives, and interest of Fedora to do "additional
testing" for the hope of slightly increased stability. Besides, not all
that necessary. If you're installing only the stuff you need, then by all
means keep everything up to date!

>I'm not very fond of fixed release schedules, if it's broken, fix it and
>release a new ISO, this will save us answering the same questions on the
>list time after time.

Fedora's purpose in moving forward quickly and pushing the developers to
work harder is going to work against you here. While you or anyone could
release a new/additional/different ISO, the Fedora Project isn't likely to
do so.

>By stripping down the initial install we can fokus on making Fedora better
>and we can actually implement some of the suggestions on this list.

Aw, come on... inconsistent logic here. Let's say that today you are not
involved in improving Fedora in any way. Let's say that you are going to
start investing time/effort/money/whatever to improve Fedora. You can
always choose where (i.e. in what packages, features, or concepts) to
invest that time; the size of the distro or the size of the default (note
default) installs do not affect you at all.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com