Install setup screen freezes

I've got an HP 760n. It can not boot from CD, so I copied vmlinuz and
initrd.img from isolinux into /boot and modified grub.conf.
During the boot the mouse, card and display are correctly
recognized.

The problem:

The mouse/keyboard/window freezes within the first couple of
install setup screens. The furthest I got was entering in
my ip address.
The earliest freeze occurred trying to display the first
screen; it only partially draws.

I've tried it with two different disc 1 cd's. The iso image
has the correct md5.

Any hints as to whats up?

Thanks.

Richard