pop3

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Jun 26 22:56:11 UTC 2004

Am So, den 27.06.2004 schrieb Daniel B. Thurman um 0:29:

> Hi Alexander,
>
> I did some homework for you:
>
> rpm -qa|grep cyrus
> cyrus-sasl-2.1.18-2
> cyrus-sasl-plain-2.1.18-2
> cyrus-sasl-devel-2.1.18-2
> cyrus-imapd-2.2.3-11
> cyrus-sasl-md5-2.1.18-2
>
> -- So this is missing from the FC2 distribution?  Did not show
> up for me off the FC1 or FC2 distro.  I did a upgrade from
> FC1 -> FC2 and maybe that was part of the problem.  dunno.

I do not understand what you want me to tell. That is a part of the
cyrus-sasl and cyrus-imapd packages of FC2. If your intention is to show
me what you installed and that you miss the cyradm binary then please
reread my previous posting as I said which packages you should have
installed too.

Btw. the installation of Cyrus-IMAPd when upgrading from FC1 to FC2 and
replacing uw-imapd is a mistake. Like with a fresh install dovecot
should be installed as default IMAP/POP3 server.

> Thanks for the bug report link.  So it appear there
> are a tad more fixes needed, entries for the sendmail.mc
> and for the stock cyrusv2.mc file.

No fixes, only configurations steps. It is no bug report but a request
for enhancement (RFE).

> I have gotten the dovecot running but have a slight problem
> as it shows in the logs.  Dovecot wants directory access
> to the user's home directory where I do not want certain
> users to have an actual home directory.  For example:
>
> /etc/password:
> saa_support:x:509:509::/dev/null:/bin/false
>
> Because I wanted this entry to be a VIRTUAL user.  Pop
> will work because it will pop information from
> /var/spool/mail/saa_support file and the saa_support
> user is actually mapped in /etc/mail/virtusertable.
>
> Does this make sense? If there is a better way to do
> this I am all ears ;-)

Why not avoiding problems and create a regular home directory for each
system user as a POP3 user? If you want a sealed server without
POP3/IMAP users being system users you will need to run Cyrus-IMAPd
instead. I understand your mentioning of "virtual user" in this way.

> ~Dan

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435
Serendipity 00:40:00 up 2:27, 8 users, 1.44, 0.96, 0.59