Problem with xterm/console

Karol troloo at idea.net.pl
Sat Jun 26 23:37:14 UTC 2004

Ben Steeves wrote:
>>Hi,
>>I'm linux newbie and usually I'm using my root account for everything (I
>>have FC2 on my private computer and it's only occasionally connected to
>>internet). I'd really like to start working as a standard user
> Good -- as I'm sure you're aware, running as root is a very, very bad
> habit.  Use "su -" (note the dash at the end) to switch to the root
> account only when you need to, then switch back as soon as possible.

Aware of that ... that's why I tried couple of time to change it and do
exactly like you wrote above - use root only when it's needed.

>>but I
>>have always the same problem (it was also on FC1). The problem is that
>>at the beginning everything with console (xterm or standard gnome
>>console) works perfectly. After installing several programs, couple of
>>reboots, when I open console it's empty, it's kind of hanging up. Can
>>you give me some advices how to set permissions for installed programs
>>so standard user can access them and the most important how to access
>>console when I'm standard user.
> Normally, if you're installing packages from rpm's (as you ought to be
> doing), permissions shouldn't be a problem.  Applications that need to
> be run as root (such as applications that need direct access to
> hardware, like CD burning software) should either be setuid root
> (which, if they're installed from RPM, they probably already are) or
> wrapped (again, they probably are if you're installing from RPM).

Ok, RPM's are not a problem. What about such applications like
Thunderbird or Firefox? They're precompiled and ready to run... Anyway
it's not a problem - I think I'll be able to set it up correctly.

> What's causing your shell session to hang is a mystery, but you have
> you tried breaking out of it with a Ctrl-C?  Or checking your process
> stack to see what's running? (use ps -awux | grep {your user name} to
> see processes running as you).

Yes, it's totally hanged up. When I switch to FC2 again I'll check stack
changes and see if it's working or not. The most probable is that it
just doesn't work (at least look like - no processor use, no disk use).

>>I have FC2 with Gnome, kernel 2.2.40.
> OK -- that's a problem.  How exactly are you running such an old
> kernel?  The 2.2 tree is way, way out of date, and FC2 comes with a
> 2.6 kernel by default.  It's non-trivial to get a 2.4 kernel running
> in FC2, let alone a 2.2 kernel.  Are you sure that's what you're
> running?  Try 'uname -a' to find out.

Of course 2.4.20 ... sory about that. I have to use this kernel - it's
the only one I found drivers for my D-Link DWL-610 PCMCIA Wireless Card.
I tried to compile NdisWrapper to use my Windows drivers but somehow it
didn't compile itself (maybe because I tried it on 2.4.20??). This is my
only solution for my WiFi working. Do you have any suggestions? Of
course I could live without using graphical console emulator but ...
it's not very nice to swich Alt+Ctrl+Fx all the time to do sth. on
console. Thanks for any hints :)

--
Greetings - TroLoo